An Açaí Affair @ Katong

I've wanted to try açaí bowls for some time. They sounded like they are really healthy and good for you. I am lucky to live in the Katong area as there are two cafes around here which are dedicated to this superfood. Both places have pretty good Google Maps reviews, so I decided I would try both, but not on the same day. I thought I would replace my lunch with the bowls. For my first try, I went to An Açaí Affair @ Katong.

The facade of the place is pretty cute, with a huge pink sign out on the walkway advertising the place. As you walk in off the street, there is a counter for you to place your order. The door to the cafe is to the right of it.

I was greeted by a very young and cheerful staff who took my order. As I wasn't sure what to order, I asked her which were their most popular items. Turns out the two most popular were the first two on the menu - Triple A and Nutty Party. I went with Triple A ($9.90) which included fresh fruits, granola, nuts & superfoods such as chia. I ordered the middle bowl with a drizzle of honey.

While waiting for my order, I went to explore the cafe. It was surprisingly spacious, with a mixture of low stools and high tables and chairs. Soon, they called out my order and I went to the counter to collect it. But the ladies (I think 4 of them?) at the counter were busy talking or doing something with their backs turned and no one bothered to let me know that the cup on the counter was my order. I wasn't sure because instead of a bowl, it was a cup.

As you can see from the photo, it was a very full cup, but it is not a bowl. With the top of the cup filled with the fruits, it was difficult to get to the acai and the other ingredients without spilling some stuff, which I did, being the klutz that I am. The açaí is more like a sorbet-y gelato. The granola too. Toasty with a nice crunch and the honey added to the texture. It felt like a very healthy dessert rather than a meal replacement. It definitely didn't feel like it would be enough as my only meal of the day. I give this 3 Aunty Karens. It is tasty but not substantial and the service is so-so. I would probably not go back.

3 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments