Khao Hom By Rung Mama @ Katong Square

Close-up of two glasses of Thai Green Milk Tea from Khao Hom By Rung Mama

Another one of Google Maps recommendations. This place, Khao Hom By Rung Mama popped up when I was checking out places with good Thai Green Tea. I had some Thai Green Tea at the Pasar Malam and now it is my favourite drink of the moment. There aren't many Thai food places around here, the cheap and good one I go to at the hawker centre recently closed down. So I was keen to try this being that it is in the 'hood and had good reviews. And they have Thai Green Tea.

This was what we (the younger sis and I) ordered: Thai Mango Salad Mixed with Homemade Sauce ($8), Clear Tom Yum Seafood ($12), Crispy Stuffed Chicken Wings ($12 for 3), Red Ruby ($6) and Homemade Ice Thai Green Milk Tea ($4 each). We also tabao Mango Sticky Rice ($8) and Sweet Tapioca with Coconut Milk ($8), both not in picture. Oh, we also had Thai Jasmine Rice ($1 each) also not pictured.

Close-up of mango salad from Khao Hom By Rung Mama Close-up of clear Tom Yum soup from Khao Hom By Rung Mama

Close-up of Crispy Stuffed Chicken Wings from Khao Hom By Rung Mama Close-up of Red Ruby with vanilla ice-cream from Khao Hom By Rung Mama

The good reviews are deserving. The food is really good, pretty authentic. The mango salad was seasoned well, the dressing was a flavourful mix of sour, salty, and sweet. They were generous with the peanuts and dried shrimp which added to the flavour, although it would be better if they had diced the shrimp smaller.

The tom yum was spicy. I have learned from an earlier trip to BKK not to underestimate the spiciness of the clear tom yum soup; they are probably more potent than the red one. Even though I knew it was going to be spicy, I was still hit by the spiciness on the first sip.

The Crispy Stuffed Chicken Wings were the surprising MVP. I wasn't so keen to get this but the sis wanted a meat dish, so we settled on chicken wings. Best decision. The wings were crispy on the outside. The inside, stuffed with meat, was juicy and full of flavour. Went well with the chilli sauce.

The Red Ruby was a great finish to our good meal. The ruby red water chestnuts were a nice size, not too small, with a crunchy bite. Not wanting to miss out on the mango sticky rice, we got that to go to enjoy at home, together with the sweet tapioca. I think it was the right decision. Perhaps because we have not eaten red ruby for a while, but it tasted better than the mango sticky rice. And I LOVE mango sticky rice.

I give this 4 Aunty Karens. The food was good and the service was quick and polite. They gave us a discount coupon for our next visit so I will definitely be back 😁


4 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments