Kipo's Kitchen @ The Odeon Katong

Bowl of tomato cabbage soup with a plate of fried fish Close up of tomato cabbage soup with mee kia and fried fish

Found this hole-in-the-wall place next to Katong Shopping Centre while looking at Google Maps for places to go for lunch after yoga. From the outside, you wouldn't even know there is a place like this in the building. But apparently, people already know as there is a crowd there during lunchtime. Today, I went early, no detours after yoga, and it was still empty so I managed to get a table. The place is Kipo's Kitchen.

I ordered the Tomato-Base Soup with Fried Fish ($6.00) with Mee Kia (additional $0.50). It was highly recommended by reviewers in Google Maps, and I can agree with their review. There was an ample serving of cabbage in the tomato soup which is flavourful. The fried fish, in three huge filet pieces, came fresh out of the frying oil, crispy and piping hot. The flesh inside was tender and cooked just right. And it came in a separate plate so it doesn't become soggy. I dunked it in the soup occasionally to soak up some of the flavours from the soup. The mee kia was cooked al-dente and the portion was just right. There were other noodles or even rice to choose from.

I give this 4 Aunty Karens. The service was not as bad as the reviews in Google Maps. Granted, I went when it was not too busy. The lady at the cashier was curt when she took my order and asked me what I wanted for noodles, in a no-nonsense, helpful way. There was an uncle who clears the table and also helps patrons find a table/seats when they are placing/have placed their orders when the place started filling up. We are essentially sitting in the open space outside of shops and the lift lobby, so that is helpful. The food is definitely good and I will be back to try their other offerings.


4 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments