Tonkatsu by Ma Maison @ Jewel

Decided to upgrade my Apple Magic Mouse to one that is re-chargeable. I've been using the battery-operated one which I've had for a long time. The batteries don't last, probably due to my high usage. It is getting expensive to replace the batteries and I feel so bad throwing them out after 1-2 weeks. Of course, I don't throw them throw them, I am not a monster. I put them in the special e-waste bins.

Anyway, I bought the mouse online and went to the Apple store at Jewel to collect it. I love that store. I made the mistake of going to an authorized reseller store because I had thought it was an Apple store. I went there to ask a few questions about getting a new Macbook and wanted information about the difference between the Pro and Air machines. The person at the reseller store basically had no product knowledge nor basic manners. He made me wait for a while before coming over to help. Then instead of answering my questions, he tried to quiz me on my IT knowledge, in a patronising and condescending manner. Then he proceeded to play a video on YouTube and said the video will provide the answers to my questions. Sorry for the rant, but I hate unhelpful and patronising salespeople who lack product knowledge and EQ. Now, when it comes to the true-blue Apple stores, it is night and day. Friendly and helpful, ready with answers and useful advice/recommendations.

Anyway, I went to Jewel to collect my mouse and decided to go to Tonkatsu by Ma Maison. This is the Ma Maison that is at Bugis Junction, the quaint Japanese western restaurant. This branch at Jewel only sells Tonkatsu, as the name suggests. It was not noon yet and already, the place was crowded. On a weekday. I ordered the Deep-fried Pork Loin Set ($21.80). It came with free refillable rice, cabbage and miso soup.

Tray of deep-fried pork loin set from Tonkatsu by Ma Maison

The deep-fried pork loin was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. There were different dipping sauces available, including the usual sesame peanut dressing. The shredded cabbage was not drenched with the dressing which is great. You can control the amount of dressing for the cabbage which I like. The grated daikon gives extra texture to the pork loin. The miso soup had generous servings of vegetables and pork slices. The free flow rice, soup, and cabbage is a definite plus here. Being the aunty that I am it was taken into consideration for the rating which is a 4.5 Aunty Karens. I don't mind paying more here as the efficient service makes it a pleasant experience (remember the crazy cleaner at the Bedok kopitam?).

4.5 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments