A tale of 2 prawn noodles

a bowl of dry prawn noodles from Da Dong Prawn Noodles along Joo Chiat Road with the red facade of Black Earth Art Museum in the background a bowl of dry prawn noodles from East Treasure Speciality Prawn Noodle along Joo Chiat Road with a braised egg in another bowl, and a bowl of soup

Along Joo Chiat Road, there is a very popular prawn noodle stall (Da Dong Prawn Noodles) in a kopitiam (coffee shop) which has mainly 2 stalls - the prawn noodle stall and a wonton noodle stall. There is always a long queue at the stall just before noon and if you come a bit late, you might be out of luck as they sell out quite quickly. Just a few steps from the kopitiam is a restaurant (East Treasure Speciality Prawn Noodle) that also sells prawn noodles. It is under the same company as Aston.

I visited East Treasure first. It was quite empty when I got there, but the place slowly filled up as I was eating. Ordering at the counter was easy. The aunty at the counter was friendly and helpful. I got the Classic Prawn Noodle ($6.80) and a side order of Braised Egg ($0.80). On a different day, for Da Dong, I wanted to order the Pork Rib Prawn Noodles but it was sold out so I got the Regular Prawn Noodle ($8).

4 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

I give both places 4 Aunty Karens. The broth that comes with the dry noodles was flavourful. The noodles were cooked well and tossed in a sauce that has just the right amount of spiciness. The prawns were what set the two apart. The DB ones were de-shelled and split in two. I like that they were de-shelled, but splitting them means I was getting fewer prawns. I think it looked like there were 2 prawns. The prawns at ET were whole, with the head and all. It was obvious that they were three of them. What I don't like is you have to de-shell them yourself and that also means they are not deveined. Pros and Cons.

Comments