Bei-Ing Wonton Noodle @ Roxy Square

A view of the stall front of Bei-Ing Wonton Noodle at Roxy Square

I'm back at Roxy Square, this time for the wonton noodles from Bei-Ing Wonton Noodle @ Roxy Square that I was supposed to try 2 days ago. There was already a queue forming as it was lunchtime, although it wasn't that long. I guess that is to be expected as it was the weekend.

When it was my turn to order, the uncle sitting at the stall was apologetic and informed me that there would be a long wait. Probably half an hour. He then tried to dissuade me from eating there. I was half tempted to go somewhere else because he seemed to not want to take my order. The chefs in the kitchen were still cooking the orders before me but the plates were coming out slowly.

Finally, after about ten minutes, he decided to take my order, writing my order on a piece of paper and giving me a card with my number on it. I found an empty table nearby and sat down to wait. At first, I was thinking of hopping over to i12 Katong to get something before zipping back but decided against it as I wasn't convinced that the wait would be 30 minutes. So I sat back and started scrolling through Twitter hoping that the wait would not be too long. True enough, in less than 15 minutes, my number was called. Instead of an electronic system showing your queue number, the system they use here is the uncle yelling out your queue number. A unique and cheap alternative IMHO.

A plate of wonton noodles from Bei-Ing Wonton Noodle at Roxy Square

The wait was worth it. I got the small dry wonton noodles ($6). They give you the soup in small bowls if you ask. You can help yourself to the fried lard and green chillies. There was both fried and normal wonton and the char siew is the Hong Kong-style roast meat type rather than the red-tinted kind that is common in local wonton noodles. The sauce is also Hong Kong-style and although I couldn't tell if there was chilli sauce added until I started eating, there was. Surprisingly spicy. I give this 4 Aunty Karens. I like that they still have fried lard as it gives it a different flavour. I will come back, probably not a weekend, if I'm around here and looking for something to eat.


4 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments