Dooki - Korean Topokki Buffet @ JCube

indoor train at Westgate mall

Today we journeyed to the West, the younger sis and I, to Westgate to collect my new running shoes. After 2 years, my old pair has worn out and I got a new pair online. Oh my, the online platform was so cranky, more than a cantankerous aunty, and their customer service email doesn't help, but finally, I did manage to order the pair I wanted (review to come later). I chose click and collect as their delivery partner was Ninja Van and I don't trust or like Ninja Van so I thought it's better to go collect it myself. Even if I have to travel all the way to the west.

For lunch, the sis suggested going to Dooki @ JCube, a Korean Topokki Buffet. When she first suggested it, I thought it was a bad idea. Why would I want to load up on so much carbo? I am a carbo lover, but that might be too much, no? Then I Googled them and found what they offer and decided to try as they have a lot of non-rice cake ingredients, such as fish cake and veggies, and at the end, you can make kimchi fried rice.

bowl with uncooked ingredients for cooking in topokki sauce pot of topokki sauce with cooked ingredients such as vegetables and fish cake
↑ uncooked ingredients from the buffet                 ↑ cooking ingredients in pot of topokki sauce        

It was surprisingly better than I'd expected. There are a variety of rice cakes. My favourites were the cheese and sweet potato ones. I like the fish cakes - noodles, slices, and skewers. We didn't get any of the clams or mussels as we weren't that into these seafood. There was other cooked food available as well. We got the chicken wings. mandu, and fried beancurd skin. The mandu and wings were so-so. The fried beancurd skin was great.

After stuffing myself with rice cakes and fish cakes, we moved on to part 2 of the meal - kimchi fried rice. The wait staff helped to fry up the rice with corn, seaweed, luncheon meat, and of course kimchi. All that food within 90 minutes.

A pot of kimchi fried rice

I give this 2.5 Aunty Karens. Would have given more but the service was lacking. Not so much the wait staff, but the kitchen/cleaning. We arrived early and yet the utensils at our table, including cutlery, were not exactly clean. We went to exchange our utensils with that from another table but it was also not that clean. In the end, I use my hand sanitiser to clean our bowls and chopsticks.


2.5 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments