Lime House & Jin Yu Man Tang @ East Coast Road

Today's exploration of the food in the 'hood takes us (the younger sis and I) to Lime House East Coast, for Caribbean food. This is their second outlet, with the first one at Keong Siak.

I had looked at the all-day menu at home and decided what to get. Unfortunately, when we got there, they had a new brunch menu instead which did not include desserts. In the end, we ordered the Bajan Fish Tacos ($9) which had fried red snapper, mango chutney and spices on a soft taco. There were two portions in there. I was expecting 3 portions since that was usually the case, you know. Anyway, the tacos tasted alright. There was guac which was a nice surprise for us since it wasn't mentioned on the menu.

Close-up of 2 Bajan Fish Tacos from Lime House East Coast

For the mains, we chose the Half Jerk Chicken ($26). It was served on a wooden block with pineapple salad and fried plantains. The chicken was cooked well, although I do think the chicken was a little small, like a baby chicken. The pineapple salad was more like pieces of pineapples and huge chunks of raw onions. The most disappointing was the fried plantains. Again, it was expectations not being met. I saw fried plantains on the menu and thought they were deep-fried plantains and was expecting chips or crisps or fries. What we got instead was mushy, cooked bananas instead. It tasted like goreng pisa without the batter. Mushy and a little greasy.

Close-up of half jerk chicken, grilled and served with pineapple salad and fried plaintains from Lime House East Coast

Overall, I give Lime House 3 Aunty Karens. The service was quite bad - the wait staff were not around to sit us and then got my napkin and cutlery wet when pouring my water. Glad that we went and got to try out the food, but it's not particularly good or memorable. With so many good eats around here, I won't be coming back here.

3 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Since we didn't get any desserts from Lime House, we hopped across the road to Jin Yu Man Tang for some Hong Kong-style desserts. The sis had the Taro Sago + Taro Ball ($4.50) and I ordered the Bo-bo Cha-cha ($3.50), both cold. It's been a while since I had Bo-bo cha-cha. The coconut milk was thick and creamy, not watered down.

Close-up of two bowls of coconut milk Chinese desserts from Jin Yu Man Tang @ East Coast

Overall, I give Jin Yu Man Tang 4 Aunty Karens. I liked my bo-bo cha-cha. The atmosphere was great, very spacious with 2 levels of sitting and an outside sitting area. I have been here a few times to try out different desserts. Will probably be back soon.


4 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments