Tamago-EN @ Suntec City

So the older sister has been raving about this coffee with egg foam at this place in Suntec City. So, today, I finally got a chance to try it out, with the sis and the niece. The place - Tamago-EN @ Suntec City. As they also serve normal meal food, we had our lunch first before getting the coffee.

I got the Eggcellent Platter ($16.90; scrambled eggs on sourdough toast, baked beans, tater tots, arabiki sausages, cherry tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms, and mesclun salad). The niece ordered the Tamago-en Oyako Don set lunch ($13.90) which included complimentary iced lemon tea, soup, and dessert of the day. The sis got the Japanese Kaya Toast Set ($8.90) which included Japanese sweet potato kaya served with toasted white bread, unsalted butter, two Japanese onsen eggs and black coffee.

My eggcellent platter was okay. It is much like the breakfast platter at many a cafe. What was surprising for me was the colour of the scrambled eggs on the toast. So orange. Apparently, that is how the eggs look like in Okinawa, where they get their eggs. Hmm.

The purple kaya in the Japanese kaya toast was interesting. I had thought it was yam, but it's actually purple sweet potato. This looks like our kopitiam kaya toast set, but elevated with Japanese flavours.

The highlight is the coffee, specifically their Frothy Egg Brew ($5.90) which consists of Okinawan egg yolk, condensed milk, vanilla, caramel sauce, and black coffee. I don't understand how that is egg yolk. My main concern is, is it safe (Salmonella?)? Anyway, it is the creamiest, yummiest coffee I have ever had. Really good, although I did have some intolerance problems after that.

I give this 3.5 Aunty Karens. The service was good. The wait staff was friendly and helpful and prompt with requests. The food was average and a little pricy. The saving grace and star is the frothy egg coffee. I would return for that.

3.5 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments