Char kway teow @ Katong Jago Carrot Cake

Today I had a craving for char kway teow. The nearest place with acceptable CKT was at Katong Jago Carrot Cake. So even though I had to walk a bit to get there, I decided to take a walk. Might as well put in some exercise before I get a sinful plateful, right? I know the stall name is carrot cake, but they actually switch from selling carrot cake in the morning to CKT in the afternoon for lunch.

Plate of char kway teow from Katong Jago Carrot Cake

I used to like the Apollo-style of CKT which is on the wet side, but I don't like it anymore, the standard has dropped and the noodles just seemed to be a sloppy mess. So when I get CKT, I want the dry kind with lots of wok-hei flavour and ample lap-chong. The cockle I don't mind having if they are cleaned well as I don't like it when they are grainy.

After lunch, I took a walk around the surrounding area, enjoying the architecture that has been preserved in the area, especially spiral staircases along the back alleys of the shophouse rows. This particular one which is near a popular cafe looks well-kept and instagrammable.

Spiral staircases along the back alleys of the shophouse rows

Overall I give the char kway teow 4 Aunty Karens. I will come back when I have CKT cravings.


4 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments