$1.30 Dim Sum Bedok & Chatters

Decided to go to this dim sum place at a coffee shop after my wheel yoga class. Frankly, I don't really enjoy this particular class and I usually feel sore and tired, so I have been skipping classes more often than for this class than my other classes. I needed something to motivate me to go, so I started searching for places to go for lunch after class and that is how I found out about $1.30 Dim Sum Bedok. At $1.30 a plate, it sounds like a good deal that is hard to pass up.

The coffee shop where the stall is located was not crowded when I got there after yoga. I used the paper menu to record my order - har gow, siu mai, steam yam cake, and fried bean curd roll (Total $5.20).

Stall front of $1.30 Dim Sum Bedok Cup of te-bing (iced tea) from Kimly coffee shop Bedok

A tray of 4 dishes from $1.30 Dim Sum Bedok

The dim sum is average. I want to say you get what you paid for, but I do think compared with the food you get at other places for twice the price, I would say this is still worth it. I also got a te-bing at the drinks stall. It was $2!! One of the most expensive tea from a kopitiam I have ever had. It in one of those plastic bottles that are too cheap to reuse, but too hard/atas to throw. Not environmentally friendly. The opening for the drink to come out is this little round thing, very different to drink from. When I requested a straw, the aunty said to me mockingly/curtly, no straw, "huan-bao" - saving the environment. I'm not sure the cups you are over-charging me for is saving the environment.

Overall I give the dim sum 3.5 Aunty Karens. It is cheap and good and I will return to try other offerings. But I will not be getting any drinks from the other stall.


3.5 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

It was still raining when I had finished eating, so I decided to check out places I could go for a real cup of coffee or tea and chanced upon Chatters right around the corner. It has a lot of good reviews, especially for its mochi waffles, so I decided to give it a try since it is a short walk under the shelter of the void deck of the HDB flats.

Walkway of Block 122 Bedok Half Mochi Waffle with Strawberry gelato from Chatters cafe at Bedok

The cafe was empty when I got there. The staff was very helpful and friendly, letting me try a few gelato flavours before I chose the one I wanted. I ordered the Half Mochi Waffle ($4.90) and Strawberry gelato ($3.90). There were many other flavours, but I do like me a strawberry ice-cream. They took a while to serve, but I think it's because the waffle was made fresh when ordered. The mochi waffle was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. The strawberry gelato was not too sweet. The maple syrup which came wasn't really necessary as the strawberry was enough flavour, but is a good-to-have.

Overall, I give this 4 Aunty Karens. It is a nice quiet environment and the waffle and gelato were tasty.


4 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments