Dickson Nasi Lemak

A photo of the street along Joo Chiat road leading to the Dickson Nasi Lemak stall with the words The inside of the Dickson Nasi Lemak stall with a refrigerator filled with cold drinks

Today I went to Dickson Nasi Lemak. This is another place recommended by the sisters. It has been closed for a while and I almost thought it would be closed for good. It is only available for take-out. There is no space for you to sit and eat. But that has not deterred people as evident in the photos of the snaking queue of people outside the shop.

I checked out their menu in advance and made sure that they were not closed. Not going to make the same mistake as I did when I went to Katong Shopping Centre intending to get the chicken rice when they were closed. I've learned my lesson. What I wasn't prepared for was that they had different menus for different days. So I missed the Ayam Goreng Berempah (spicy fried chicken) which I wanted. Well, at least it was opened. I ordered the Chicken Rendang ($8.30).

plastic container with nasi lemak and chicken rendang and other ingredients

The coconut rice is the usual fare. I was surprised that they included the sambal chilli but really glad they did. It was really good sambal, with a sweetness that counters the spiciness. It tasted like atas sambal. The rendang was rich and creamy. I feel like I need to have more rice to soak up all the goodness. I give this 4.5 Aunty Karens. I will return soon for the spicy fried chicken.


4.5 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale


Addendum: Finally went to Dickson again. Here's my review of their Ayam Goreng Berempah

Comments