Dickson Nasi Lemak Again

Close-up of plastic container with nasi lemak and chicken rendang and other ingredients from Dickson Nasi Lemak

Finally, I got my hands on the Dickson Ayam Goreng Berempah (spicy fried chicken). The last time I came here, they only had rendang on their menu and I got their Chicken Rendang, which turned out to be very good rendang (review here - Dickson Nasi Lemak Chicken Rendang). But I really wanted to try the fried chicken, so here I am.

I am happy to report that the wait was worth it. As with my previous review, the coconut rice was standard nasi lemak fare. The "atas" sambal chilli was definitely the star, extra spicy but also with a bit of sweetness to off set the spiciness. The fried chicken was a surprise. When I looked at the pieces of chicken, to be honest, I was a bit disappointed. They looked like they would be overfried and dry. But boy was I wrong. They were crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I think the small chunks work such that the flavour of the spices were retained in the batter creating a good crispy crunch, while maintaining the tenderness of the chicken on the inside.

In my previous review, I gave the rendang 4.5 Aunty Karens. Today, for the fried chicken I give them the same rating. The 0.5 AK is hoping they give a bit more rice and sambal. I will be back.


4.5 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments