Gochi-So Shokudo @ Jewel

A tray of Bellota Iberico Loin Katsu with the Jewel fountain in the background

I'm back here at Jewel, my current favourite place 😁. I wanted to replace my running shoes and the podiatrist has recommended getting either a pair from Asics or New Balance. So, since they have an Asics store here, I decided to come to find my new pair of shoes. Incidentally, my current pair is also from Asics. I had mistakenly thought their store here would be big since most stores here in Jewel are pretty huge, two-storey even. Unfortunately, the store is a tiny one with a limited selection of anything. So off to lunch I went.

There are many restaurants at Jewel to choose from for lunch. I'm spoiled for choice. I landed on Gochi-So Shokudo eventually. I was seduced by the small sesame seed grinder mortar and pestle in their set meal photos at the entrance of the restaurant. Not that I like sesame seeds that much, although I do, but I just like to play with my food.. hahaha

I got the Bellota Iberico Loin Katsu ($17.50) which came with the sesame seed grinder mortar and pestle (Suribachi and Surikogi in Japanese), shredded cabbage with sesame dressing, rice and miso soup.

A top view of the tray of Bellota Iberico Loin Katsu with sesame seed grinder mortar and pestle, shredded cabbage with sesame dressing, rice and miso soup

While the suribachi and surikogi was fun, it wasn't practical, or maybe I wasn't using it correctly. A lot of it ended up between the ridges of the mortar bowl. The katsu is as nice as the one at Ma Maison reviewed earlier. The location, at the basement open space, also made for a strange ambience. I didn't try to find out if the cabbage were refillable, which is common in most tonkatsu restaurants.

Overall, I give this place 3 Aunty Karens. The food wasn't too bad nor was it anything to shout about. Service was also neither good nor bad. I don't think I will return since there is a better option (Tonkatsu by Ma Maison) in the same building.


3 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments