Emmanuel Peranakan Cuisine @ Marine Parade

Close-up of a plate of butterfly pea rice, rendang chicken, fried egg, and ikan bilis

Today, I tried the nasi lemak from Emmanuel Peranakan Cuisine. I have seen the long queues at this stall during lunchtimestyrofoam and always thought they only sell cai-fan (rice and vegetables/meat dishes). When I realised that they sell Nyonya Nasi Lemak ($5.50) with butterfly pea rice and rendang chicken, I decided that I must give it a try.

As I didn't want to eat in the crowded food centre, I got it to go. It came in a styrofoam box which is smaller than the usual cai-fan boxes, an indication that portion sizes are going to be smaller than usual. The blue butterfly pea rice had a faint coconut milk taste. It was a very small portion, unfortunately. The fried egg was a greasy mess, neither a sunny-side-up nor an easy-over. The rendang was the star of this show. It was tasty and the chicken was cooked just right, not dried out. The sambal chilli was only so-so and I won't have missed it if it's left out.

How does this compare with Dickson Nasi Lemak's Chicken Rendang? I would say I prefer Dickson. The portion was more substantial (although it is also more expensive), and the flavour of the rendang was richer. The sambal chilli from Dickson was the best I've ever had.

Overall, I give this 3 Aunty Karens. This is a possible cheaper alternative to Dickson's Chicken Rendang. However, if I want nasi lemak, there are other options around which are just as good, if not better. One of which is D'authentic which I might review in future.


3 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments