White Marble @ Orchard Rendezvous Hotel

Decided to go get the new COVID-19 Bivalent Vaccine Boosters. It's almost a year since my last booster shot and they have opened the availability of the shots to those aged 50 and above. Hurray for being a "senior citizen"!

My previous doses were from Pfizer-BioNTech and I wanted to switch it up this time with the Moderna booster. Just as well since only the Moderna Bivalent version is available here right now. I "celebrated" by going to the White Marble for their 3-course set lunch.

If you order the courses from the standard menu, the whole meal costs only $20. Or you can get other items on the menu with a surcharge. For the appetizer, it was either a salad or a gazpacho, both sounded good. But I went with the Charcoal Grilled Spanish Octopus for an additional $10. I had thought it would be a smaller portion of their ala carte menu octopus which had good online reviews and I was hoping it would be like the Pulpo a la Gallega I had when I was in Galicia. It wasn't. Instead, there were a few pieces of thinly sliced octopus sitting on a bed of mashed potatoes. It was tasty, but I was disappointed that I paid extra for the dish.

Close-up of a plate of Charcoal Grilled Spanish Octopus with crushed potato, paprika, and harissa aioli from White Marble at Orchard Rendezvous Hotel

For the main course, there were a few protein options if you are willing to pay extra. For the standard menu, you can choose either the Hummus with Tabbouleh or Chicken Shawarma. I picked the Chicken Shawarma. I thought it might be a bit too soon to be having hummus again, although I really wanted the tabbouleh. It's been a while since I had that. Miss my cafeteria tabbouleh at the school. Anyway. the chicken shawarma was great. The chicken was grilled to perfection, juicy and tender, not dry. The pita, on the other hand, was dry and could be warmer and more pillowy. I think the pita from La Fez was better.

Close-up of Chicken Shawarma with pita bread, red onion, salad, and spicy yoghurt from White Marble at Orchard Rendezvous Hotel

For dessert, I went with the Gelato with berries compote from the standard menu. The vanilla ice-cream tasted homemade, not the store-bought kind. The compote and crumbs were a good complement to the ice-cream. A great ending to a good meal.

Close-up of a scoop of Gelato with berries compote and biscuit crumps on the bottom from White Marble at Orchard Rendezvous Hotel

Overall, I give this 4 Aunty Karens. I was actually deciding between 3.5 and 4. I think I had high expectations because it is a restaurant at a hotel. What helped me to decide on 4 was the service. It was service worthy of a restaurant at a hotel. It was professional and attentive without being irritating. My glass of sparkling water was refilled when its level is down. The courses came without too much waiting. I would return especially since I wanted to try their espresso martini which I couldn't try because of the vaccination shot.

4 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments