Old Bibik's Peranakan Kitchen

I've passed by the Old Bibik's Peranakan Kitchen many times in the Joo Chiat area. It is located in the same row of shops/restaurants as the Thunder Tea Rice which I have visited quite a few times. The food looks interesting but seems to be more for communal eating than for a lone foodie. But today, I decided to venture in as I saw in their online menu that they do have 1 person rice set meals.

I ordered the Beef Rendang Rice ($15.90) and Pulut Hitam with Coconut Ice Cream ($8) for dessert. I figured that I had done my 60 minutes of yoga, so I can just go ahead and treat myself to a good meal.

Plate of Beef Rendang Rice from Old Bibik's Peranakan Kitchen with counter in the background Pulut Hitam with Coconut Ice Cream from Old Bibik's Peranakan Kitchen

The beef rendang is flavourful and not too spicy, full of lemak flavour. The Nyonya archar has enough acidity and spiciness and balances out the rendang. The sambal belacan was the star here. Although the archar and the rendang is already spicy enough, the sambal added another layer of spiciness that you didn't know you needed. I never imagined pairing sambal with rendang until I tried it at Dickson Nasi Lemak when I had chicken rendang and tasted their awesome sambal chilli. The sambal belacan here is just as awesome. It was so good that I ordered a small Tupperware of it to take home. Would taste good with anything, especially belinjau chips.

Overall, I give this 4 Aunty Karens. I deducted half an aunty because it is a little pricy. I know that the dishes are communal, meant to be enjoyed with a group of people, but I wish they have nasi pandang style bento for lone diners like me. Having said that, I would still return, alone, to try other 1 person set meals and to enjoy the sambal belacan again.


4 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments