Coney Island and Punggol

It has been a while since I have been to Coney Island, so I suggested we go there for our morning walk today. It was a good walk. A mix of nature on the island, and some concrete jungle at Punggol, and the Serangoon River riverside.

Puddle of water reflection the trees and path in Punggol Photo taken on the Lor Halus Red Bridge at Punggol

For lunch, we went to Tenderbest Makcik Tuckshop, a halal Western food restaurant. We wanted to get the Onion Blossom but it was out. So we only got the 5 piece Tender Set which came with coleslaw and fries ($16.90). For drinks, the sis got the Lychee Nojito while I got the Watermelon Nojito ($3.90 each)

The chicken was great, fried well. The coleslaw and fries were also okay. Tasty, but not spectacular. The drinks were a disappointment at least for me. I was expecting real watermelon, but it was just syrup and even then, there wasn't any watermelon taste. I should have known that it is too much to ask for real watermelon at a restaurant for $3.90.

Overall, I give this 3 Aunty Karens. I don't think I would specially come back for more. It was good fried chicken at a good price point, but there are better KFC (Korean Fried Chicken), e.g. Oven & Fried Chicken @ Tanjong Katong that I've reviewed previously.

3 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Fried chicken with coleslaw and fries from Tenderbest Makcik Tuckshop A glass of Lychee Nojito and Watermelon Nojito

The reason we didn't go crazy and order more food was because the sis wanted to go try the sourdough and coffee at Anna's, a bakery/restaurant not too far away, but we didn't really want to have lunch there.

We got the Oasis Classic - Sourdough toast with black garlic butter and house-made berry compote ($7). For drinks, we each got an Iced Flat White ($7 each).

Oasis Classic Sourdough toast with black garlic butter and housemade berry compote from Anna's 2 glasses of Iced Flat White

The sourdough toast was great and the garlic butter elevated it. I would have eaten it without the butter or compote. It was that good. The coffee was so-so. For a $7 coffee, you couldn't really taste the coffee. It was diluted by the milk and ice. Or perhaps the extraction time was too short to bring out the flavour of the coffee.

Overall, I give this 3.5 Aunty Karens. The coffee let it down.

3.5 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Comments