Humble Origins Coffee Roasters

Today, after yoga, I went Humble Origins Coffee Roasters. Have been wanting to try this cafe which serve coffee beans from Myanmar. In my barista foundation class, we learnt that beans from Vietnam are robusta, the same beans used in our local kopitams. I wonder if the ones from Myanmar are also robusta.

Interior of Humble Origins Coffee Roasters

I got the 6 oz White coffee ($6) and the Tea Leaf Salad (crunchy fried garlic and mixed legumes, roasted sasame, double citrus juice, cherry tomatoes, baby romaine, argular, fermented tea leaf, $17).

6 oz White coffe from Humble Origins Coffee Roasters Tea Leaf Salad from Humble Origins Coffee Roasters

The coffee was different from what I am used to from other cafes. You can really taste the difference. It also doesn't taste like the kopitiam kopi. There was an aftertaste that reminds me of soy sauce, as strange as that sounds. I don't dislike it, just not what I am used to.

The Tea Leaf Salad is like an upmarket Thunder Tea Rice without the brewed tea. It was really tasty. The lime and lemon juice gave the dish a citrusy punch. I don't really use a lot of salad dressing in my salads anyway, and usually balsamic or a non-creamy dressing. I don't really miss not having any dressing here. The crunchy fried garlic were the MVP on the dish. I am okay with garlic, good for taste, but not too much. But here, I just couldn't stop eating them eventhough I knew they would give me garlicky breath. They were that good.

Overall, I give this 4 out of 5 stars. While I don't love their coffee, the tea leaf salad was delicious. I like the ambiance of the place, especially their Japandi (Japan + Scandinavia) furniture. I want them in my house! I will return to try their other offerings in their menu and give their coffee another go.


4 out of 5 stars on the Aunty Karen scale

Reviews of other cafes in the Joo Chiat/Katong area:
Hello Arigato Joo Chiat PS Cafe @ i12 Katong
Group Therapy Coffee @ Katong V
Supernova @ Tanjong Katong
Good Chai People
Group Therapy Coffee @ Katong V Again
Seng Coffee Bar
Espresso Martini and other boozy drinks @ Awfully Chocolate
Café Natsu @ Joo Chiat
Little Rogue Coffee @ Tanjong Katong
Typhoon Taiwanese Cafe @ i12 Katong Mall
Nimbus @ Joo Chiat

Comments